Short update. It would be perfect payback if the Ukrainians did an end run of Russian defenses by attacking through Russia. Probably just a diversion and a means to draw Russian forces away from the coming Ukrainian counterattack.
of the all-Russian pro-Ukrainian Russian Volunteer Corps (RDK) and
Freedom of Russian Legion (LSR) conducted a raid into Belgorod Oblast (Russia) on
officials noted that they are aware of the attack but denied any direct
involvement by the Ukrainian Armed Forces. The raid prompted a slate of
responses from local and federal Russian officials.
Russian information space responded with a similar degree of panic,
factionalism, and incoherency as it tends to display when it experiences
significant informational shocks.
Group financier Yevgeny Prigozhin claimed that Wagner forces will
withdraw from the entire frontline in Ukraine after June 1 in order to
reconstitute and train for about two months.
- Ukrainian officials stated that limited fighting continued in and around Bakhmut on May 22.
Russian informational response to the capture of Bakhmut has thus far
focused on competing for responsibility for the victory rather than
discussing the resulting military situation. The hyperfocus on claiming
victory in Bakhmut distracts from the precarious Russian military
situation in and around Bakhmut, underscoring the weight of Prigozhin’s
influence in the information space.
- Russian forces launched another large-scale drone and missile strike against Ukrainian infrastructure on the night of May 21-22.
- Russian forces continued limited ground attacks in the Kupyansk direction.
forces made marginal gains in the Avdiivka area and did not conduct any
confirmed or claimed ground attacks in western Donetsk Oblast.
- The Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Plant reportedly lost power for the seventh time since the beginning of the war.
- The Russian military is reportedly lowering the length of training for convicts in order to compensate for heavy losses.
occupation authorities announced that preliminary voting for the ruling
United Russia Party has commenced in occupied territories.